The East Troy area was settled in 1836, when a man known only as H. Roberts began construction of a sawmill on the shores of Honey Creek. The area quickly grew and in the span of only four years, there was also a hotel, general store, blacksmith, chapel, school (held in the chapel), post office, doctor, lawyer and justice of the peace. In order to encourage growth of the community, early settlers Jacob Burgit and Austin McCracken offered a lot free to anyone who would build upon it. The public square was deeded in perpetuity to the village. Today, the village square continues to serve as the centerpiece for the community and hosts festivals, band concerts, farmers Markets, as well as the residents and visitors who stop to enjoy its historic charm. Many of the owners of the buildings around the square are now showing their pride in the square by the revitalization of the old buildings. We still have work to do, and winning this contest could help us with our vision for what the Historic Square and Main St. could be with trees and/or pedestrian plaza to enhance the charm.