Main Street, Malad, Idaho

Main Street, Malad, Idaho

Malad, ID

The first part of the Co-op building was finished in 1893 and housed Evans Co-op, which was owned by David L. Evans and Lorenzo Evans. The flat iron addition was finished in 1908 and was home to JN Ireland Bank. The bank moved to a new building in the 1970s. This Co-op structure has been the focal point of downtown Malad for over 110 years, and marks where two pioneer trails intersect, one going west and the other heading north. The Evans Family owned and operated businesses in the building until about 2015, however much of the structure has not been used for many years and has fallen into disrepair. In 2018 the Estate put the building up for sale and Malad City bought it with the intent of moving City Hall into the building and finding businesses to occupy the rest. The City formed a Co-op Committee to spearhead clean-up, fundraising and general resurrection of the building. It is the heart of the City. The Committee has functioned since January 2019. Clean up has been massive and done by community volunteers. Electricians are donating time and materials to get the electrical up to code. Fundraising is just getting started. The first donation came from a middle school boy who wanted to help. The community was behind the purchase and has been very involved in clean up. We want to see our little town thrive. If we are lucky enough to win, we will use the money to help with upgrading the infrastructure of the building. Once this is done City Hall can move in. We think we should be chosen because the historical value of this building is central to our community. The community is currently showing us they want to help by being very involved in this project.